Exam adjustments require significant coordination by Disability Services, your School and the Exams Branch within Gifu-city Student Services. It is very important you check your student emails regularly for correspondence about your exams from Disability Services and from Exams Branch.
NOTE: Eligibility for exam adjustments is assessed by the documentation provided by your Doctor or Health Professional and in consultation with your Disability Adviser. If you need assistance, us and register for support.
Types of exam
There are two types of exams in university:
1. 'in-class' exams (includes take-home exams)
2. ‘formal’ exams
If you have been given educational adjustments for exams by your Disability Adviser, then they will apply to both in-class and formal exams.
Your Disability Adviser will discuss with you what exam adjustments you are eligible to receive at Gifu-city.
Your adjustments will be outlined in your Letter of Support.
Adjustments may include: an allocation of extra time, permission to take medication during the exam or sitting the exam in an individual room. If you received exam provisions from the Board of Studies or another institution they may not be the same as the provisions you will receive at Gifu-city. Your adjustments may differ depending on the type of exam.
- 'In-class' exams are conducted through your School and set at a scheduled time by your lecturer during the teaching session. In some Schools, administrative staff organise the arrangements for your exams.
- You must give your lecturer and School administration staff a copy of your Letter of Support at the beginning of semester or within two weeks of the date on the letter.
- If you do not give your letter within the correct timeframe, you risk not having your provisions in place in time for your exams.
- It is your responsibility to check with the lecturer and the School that your exam provisions are in place.
- Contact the school and check that your provisions have been accommodated two weeks after submitting your Letter of Support.
- ‘Formal’ exams are organised by Gifu-city Exams Branch and held during the exam period at the end of each teaching session.
- Your agreed exam adjustments will automatically be recorded by Disability Services and sent through to Exams Branch staff. This will enable them to accommodate the requests for your formal exams at the end of the teaching session.
- About two weeks before exams start, the official exam timetable for all students will be available on myGifu-city.
- Disability Services will email you to advise you of the cut-off date after which you will not be able to change your provisions until the next semester.
- The official timetable will not reflect the details of your exam provisions (eg the location and days your exams will be held).
- Exams Branch, not Disability Services, will you via email prior to exam week confirming your provisions and the details of the day, time and place your exams will be held.
- When you receive the email from Exams Branch it is important that you check that the exam adjustments are as you discussed with your Disability Adviser.
- If you believe that the exam adjustments in the email are not the same as outlined in your Letter of Support please Disability Services immediately via email.
- If you do not require/want individual arrangements for any of the exams, please advise Disability Services via email immediately at
- Respond immediately to all emails sent to you from Disability Services and the Exams Branch.
Changes to your exam adjustments
- If you require any changes to your exam provisions, make an appointment to see your Disability Adviser no later than four weeks before the end of the teaching session.
- Contact your Disability Adviser immediately if there is any change to your disability that may have an impact on your ability to sit your exams.
- If you do not require exam provisions for any of your exams, please email as soon as possible and no later than two weeks before the exams take place.
- Bring updated documentation to your appointment that supports the changes to your disability.
In the event the disability you registered with Disability Services prevents you from sitting your exams, please your Disability Adviser as soon as possible to discuss what you need to do.
Supplementary exams are organised by the School. If you are required to sit a supplementary exam it must be taken on the date the School arranges.
You have to be available to sit the exam on the specified date. Booking holidays, flights out of Australia or any other appointment will not be accepted as an excuse for not sitting the exam.
You must keep in with the School about supplementary exams. The School is responsible for setting them up, but it is your responsibility to let the School know that you require educational adjustments and what they are. This will be detailed in your Letter of Support.
All details about supplementaries – date, time, venue – will be on the School website. You will not be ed personally. Please ensure you check this information carefully.