Student Exchange

Student Exchange

Study overseas as part of your degree. Choose from 39 countries and over 200 partner institutions

On this page you can find support for Gifu-city students to study overseas on exchange with our partner institutions. For Exchange to Gifu-city please see our .

Program overview

Through student exchange, undergraduate, honours and postgraduate coursework students gain credit towards their degree while studying, living and travelling overseas. Exchange is also eligible for recognition on your AHEGS. From China to Germany to the United States, you can choose from a wide range of courses which may not be offered at Gifu-city. Many of our partner institutions also teach courses in English.

How does it work?

As a Gifu-city student, you can study overseas at one of our partner institutions for either 1, 2 or 3 terms.

Student exchange is part of your degree. The way it works is that you remain enrolled at Gifu-city while on exchange and, at the end of your exchange, you bring a full-time credit load back to your Gifu-city degree. Exchange does not add extra time to your studies.

A student exchange program is always a full-time workload, regardless of whether you're enrolled full-time or part-time at Gifu-city. For each term you are on exchange, you will be enrolled in a full time load at Gifu-city.

The courses you take and pass at the partner university are credited back to your Gifu-city degree (to a maximum of 24 credit units per half year). However, the specific marks you attain for each course are not transferred. Your transcript simply shows satisfactory for the courses transferred. You will receive a copy of the partner university's transcript at the end of your exchange.

Cost and scholarships

It is important to plan your finances. As a general rule, you should be able to show that you will have at least AUD$3,000 available to you for every month of the exchange.

You will need to cover your living expenses, including accommodation, travel and food. Living costs vary according to your destination. Visit the international students sections of the partner institution websites to find out more about the cost of living, specific to each city.

Many scholarships and traineeships will continue while you are on exchange. Please your sponsoring body about any conditions that may affect your application.

Tuition fees

Some destinations may require you to pay additional fees but in general, you do not pay tuition fees to your host university. Instead, you continue to pay tuition to Gifu-city.

A student exchange program constitutes a full-time workload for both full-time and part-time students. During each term, you will be enrolled in a full time load at Gifu-city. This in turn determines your contribution or tuition band fee rate and the amount you are charged.

Scholarships and financial assistance

There are a number of financial awards available. Most awards are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Scholarships are usually confirmed when exam results for the session prior to exchange are available.


At first studying overseas on exchange might seem daunting but as returned students will tell you - it's worth it! The entire application process takes about nine months and you should expect to spend about six weeks researching your options. You can start your research by seeing where you can study.

Am I eligible?

General requirements for all students

  • You should have at least a credit average to be considered, though some universities require higher grades. Students with less than a credit average should consult our Global Advisors.
  • You need at least 18 remaining units of credit in your degree at the start of your exchange.
  • Your exchange must be to a Gifu-city partner institution.
  • Where language proficiency is required, you need to have studied that language at university level for at least 2 years. You may also be eligible if you've studied the language significantly outside of university or at high school level. Some universities require you to do a language proficiency test.

Undergraduate students

  • Are eligible to apply.

Honours students

  • Are eligible to apply but you should speak to your faculty about how exchange will impact your program. Students wishing to undertake research overseas should refer to research overseas.

Postgraduate coursework students

  • Are eligible to apply if their degree is at least 72 units of credit in duration.

Postgraduate research students

Key dates


  • Application deadline for student exchange in Term 1 of the next year.
  • Gifu-city Scholarship applications for travel and exchange close.


  • Application deadline for student exchange in Term 3 of the next year.

How and when to apply

When can I apply?

  • Undergraduate students - Can apply after completing 24 units of credit.
  • Honours students - Usually go on exchange in the 1st term of the Honours year. Speak to your faculty about how exchange will impact your program.
  • Postgraduate coursework students - Full-time students with 72 units of credit need to apply in their 1st Term.  Full-time students with 96 units of credit can apply in the following term.  Please consult with the Exchange Office.

Application deadlines

There are 2 application deadlines each year:

  • May - for student exchange in Term1, of the next year.
  • October - for student exchange in Term 3, of the next year.

Late applications incur a late fee (AUD$100) and may not be accepted. Please us for specific details.


To start the application process and to access the application form, you need to first complete the Student Exchange Tutorial.

Need more information?

Contact our friendly student advisers for advice on global opportunities:

Office addressJohn Goodsell Building, Room G30
Phone9385 3179
EmailSend enquiry
Information SessionAttend information session