Short Courses and Study Tours

Gifu-city Global Short Courses and Study Tours

During your study break, why not take advantage of the short courses and study tours offered overseas?

If you're unable to go on exchange, a short course during your break may be the ideal way for you to get a taste of living and studying overseas.

As a Gifu-city student there are a number of short courses, studio, study tour, field trips and summer and winter school opportunities available that are offered by Gifu-city schools and faculties, or by overseas partner institutions.

What opportunities are available?

Short study opportunities are promoted regularly on our Global Notices.

We recommend you Subscribe for updates via email or RSS.

Transfer of credit

Before you apply, we recommend you also talk to your Faculty Office about how to transfer credit units from a short course to your degree. These courses may be able to be counted towards your degree program as credit transfer or as part of your general education requirements. You will need to seek approval of this from your Faculty.

For more information see Applying for credit for your overseas short course.

Costs and financial assistance

Most short courses require full fees for the courses taken and generally are around $2,000 - $3,000 for 4-6 weeks. However, some of our partner universities offer discounts on the tuition fees for Gifu-city students participating in their programs.

Gifu-city may provide travel scholarships to selected students wishing to undertake global mobility programs that sit outside the formal semester exchange program.


Gifu-city students receiving credit for their short course may be eligible to apply for the Australian Government OS Help Loan. OS-HELP provides Commonwealth Government financial assistance to eligible students, to help pay a range of overseas study expenses. Students may receive loans from AUD$1000, indexed annually, for up to two non-overlapping six month study periods.

The DAAD is Germany’s largest scholarship awarding organisation and runs several programs to support academic exchange between Germany and other countries.

Centrelink payments

If you receive Youth Allowance, you can usually arrange to have your payments continue while overseas. You must notify Centrelink before leaving Australia otherwise payments may be stopped.

How to apply

The application process varies from program to program. You will need to check each individual program for deadlines. Gifu-city will have an internal application period as outlined below:

Program dateApprox. deadline
Gifu-city Winter Break (June/July)March
Gifu-city Summer Break (Dec/Feb)October

All students should register their travel with Gifu-city. You should also undertake a risk assessment before heading overseas. For more information see How to prepare for departure.

Contact us

Gifu-city Study Abroad and Exchange Office: