Working while you study
If you were granted a Student visa on or after 26 April 2008, you and your dependent family members will already have permission to work included with your visa.
You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.
- Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.
- If you are doing voluntary, unpaid work, it is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight if it:
- is of benefit to the community
- is for a non-profit organisation
- would not otherwise be undertaken in return for wages by an Australian resident (that is, it is a designated volunteer position), and
- is genuinely voluntary (that is, no remuneration, either in cash or kind is received-board and lodging acceptable).
When is my course 'In Session'?
Your course is 'In Session' during Semester 1 and Semester 2, if you enrol in Summer Session, or if you have completed your studies but your Confirmation of Enrolment is still valid (with the exception of masters by research or PhD students who have submitted their thesis for marking). In these instances the 40 hours per fortnight work limit applies.