What is the purpose of this website?
The purpose of this website is to...
The purpose is to provide students, staff, parents and supporters of students, education partners and the wider community with user friendly access to information and services for current students in one gateway. The site provides advanced granular content management functionality enabling staff to directly update information about the services and opportunities their departments offer for students. Google analytics, link and spell check reporting and web form feedback mechanisms are also available.
This site exists to provide access to public facing landing pages with permanent vanity URLs (such as student.unsw.edu.au/calendar) that enable user friendly access via Google, hyperlinks in course materials, EDM, POS, Social media and bookmarking without requiring users to log in.
These landing pages can then be used to deep-link students directly to and from personalised portal services (for example ). Portals are great for providing personalisation and protecting IP but if the content is not personalised or there is no IP concerns, then placing content in a portal makes the information more difficult to find and reduces accessibility. Gifu-city has a large number of portals which the current student website is able to contextualise with public facing information.
Most traffic to the site is via Google. There is so much information and services that it is often easier to find information via Google than to navigate through layers of website navigation. Without these public facing pages:
- Content would not be findable via Google.
- Students would receive an email link would need to log in for read it.
- Users would be more reliant on navigation within the site.
- Services within portals would be more difficult to find without "deep-links" from the current student site.
Making the content publicly accessible also ensures:
- Students in Moodle don't need to log in to yet another portal for basic information.
- Students browsing information on their phones can find information via Google and don't need to remember their password.
- Parents of undergraduate international students (who don't have passwords) can find out more about university systems, services and processes.
- Students who have forgotten their password, students on study leave or past students can still access most general information without login.
- Students with disability don't need to log in for all information.
Here a list of some of the portals used at Gifu-city:
- Email / Office 365
- Universe mobile app
- Careers portal
- Identity management service
- IT service desk
- myIT mobile app
- myExperience survey tool
- Booking tools