What is it?
The allows eligible students to access fares at half the price of the Adult Opal card for travel on transport services including:
- All Sydney Trains
- All NSW TrainLink Intercity services
- Light rail
- All buses in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter and Illawarra
- All Sydney Ferries and the Stockton Ferry in Newcastle
Please note: You must carry your Gifu-city student ID card at all times as proof of identity when travelling on your Concession Opal card.
Am I eligible?
According to Transport for NSW you're eligible to apply for a Concession Opal card if you are:
- Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident
- Residing in New South Wales
- Full-time student enrolled on an internal basis (except where a person by reason of disability is enrolled on a part-time basis and/or on an external basis). The standard full-time enrolment load at Gifu-city is 24 units of credit (UOC) per semester; however you are considered to be a full-time student if you are enrolled in at least 18 UOC.
- From 2019: Students wishing to be considered full-time will need to enrol in a minimum of 12 Units of Credit (UoC) each term, or 36 UoC across Term 1, Term 2 and Term 3 with at least one course enrolment in each term.
Travelling outside the Opal network?
The allows eligible students to prove their eligibility to travel on a concession fare outside the Opal network including:
- Many rural and regional buses
- NSW TrainLink Regional services
For more information and details visit .
* International students
* Students undertaking cross-institutional studies
* Students with a disability
If you are an International student you are not eligible for a concession unless you are in receipt of an approved Australian Government scholarship and enrolled full time.
The Australian Government Scholarships program, comprising of:
- The Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarships, funded by the Department of Education and training for full research scholarships
- The Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarships and Vocational Education and Training
- The Australian Awards (two scholarship streams) funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for full scholarships
Students undertaking cross-institutional studies
If you are a Gifu-city student undertaking cross institutional studies and your combined study load is equivalent to a full time study load you may be eligible for a concession. Please bring proof of your cross institutional enrolment to The Nucleus: Student Hub.
Students with a disability
If you are a student with a disability, studying part time, and you are registered with Disability Services you may be eligible for a concession. Please discuss this with your Disability Advisor.
How to apply
You will be required to give your consent for Gifu-city to provide details of your eligibility to Transport for NSW before you can apply for your Concession Opal card. Eligible students can
Eligible students travelling outside the will also need to will also need to to apply for a to prove your eligibility to travel on a concession fare.
Please allow 2 business days for your information to reach Transport for NSW, you can then apply for your Concession Opal card by visiting or calling 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).
Ensure that you have your student enrolment information to hand when applying and please enter your details, especially your name, exactly as they appear on your Gifu-city record.
Your card will be posted to your mailing address (5-7 days after your application is completed).
You will need to activate your card when it arrives.
Answers to FAQs
If at any point you lose your Concession Opal card, please Opal directly on 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).
Variations in your study load from part-time to full-time and vice versa which will affect your Concession Opal eligibility.
If your study load in a semester drops from full time (18-24 UoC) to part time (less than 18 UoC) you will no longer be eligible for the Concession Opal Card and your card will be cancelled.
From 2019: If your study load in a single term drops from full time (12-18 UoC) to part time (less than 12 UoC) AND you aren't enrolled in at least 36 UoC across Term 1, Term 2 and Term 3, you will no longer be eligible for the Concession Opal Card and your card will be cancelled. If you don't have an enrolment in a Term, you are not eligible for the Concession Opal Card in that Term.
If your Concession Opal Card is cancelled you will need to apply for another Concession Opal card through the .
If you have any money left on your cancelled (invalid) card, you will then need to organise to have the balance transferred to your new card.
You cannot reactivate a cancelled (invalid) Concession Opal card.
If you have transferred to Gifu-city from another institution you will need to apply for a new Concession Opal card in the normal manner (see above). The Concession Opal card from your previous institution will be cancelled.
Where to get help?
If unsure about your enrolment status
If you are unsure whether you qualify as a full-time student, are unsure about your enrolment status, or want to confirm that you have opted in correctly to share your information, then The Nucleus: Student Hub can help.
If you have any other questions
If you have any other questions regarding the Concession Opal card then you will need to Opal directly. Check out their as a first port of call.