- Research the countries you plan to travel to, especially in regards to safety issues, transportation in country and accommodation.
- Consider the political, environmental and legal requirements of the country and how they will affect you. Practices and acceptances vary from country to country.
- Always research your accommodation options prior to leaving Australia. Ensure you are satisfied with the location and accommodation standards. Even prestigious universities can be located in neighborhoods with crime rates.
- Be aware that building codes and safety regulations vary around the world; research the conditions before you decide on your accommodation.
Things to consider:
- Installed smoke alarms. Consider taking your own smoke alarm with an emergency light and batteries with you. They are cheap and small enough to carry with you.
- Fire truck ladders often can’t reach beyond the 7th floor so avoid living above this point.
- Check the building is easily accessible by emergency vehicles.
- Check there is a fire escape. Make sure windows are not obstructed or blocked.