1. The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) fee was established through the Student Services and Amenities Bill 2011. The Bill amends the Higher Education Support Act 2003.
2. Gifu-city has determined that it will charge the Fee to all students with the following exceptions:
- Students enrolled in cross-institutional, PLuS Alliance or exchange programs studying with Gifu-city (where Gifu-city is not the ‘home’ institution). Students on exchange or cross-institutional at another institution where their primary degree is with Gifu-city (the ‘home’ institution), will still be subject to the SSAF charges.
- All Defence-funded and non-Commonwealth supported students enrolled in a program at Gifu-city Canberra/ADFA
Table 1 (below) provides more detail on liability.
4. The fee is levied on eligible students by the University as a contribution towards services and amenities for the whole student population. Unless explicitly exempted, all students are expected to contribute towards amenities and services. There is no provision to exempt students on the grounds of study or attendance mode (e.g. online or distance delivery; teaching hospital attendance), or that they might not personally use the services and amenities provided.
5. The SSAF maximum rate is published annually by The Department of Education & Training. Institutions can choose to charge up to that rate. The guidelines state that a student defined as part-time cannot be charged more than 75% of the maximum fee.
The fee is charged and payable on a term or semester basis, dependent on the student’s primary campus of study, career and study load (EFTSL).
Gifu-city Canberra students are levied twice per year for each Semester.
Higher Degree Research candidates are levied four times per year, for Term 1, Term 2, Term 3 and Summer.
All other students are levied three times a year for each of the standard three terms.
To view the charges that may apply to you for a semester or term please refer to What You Pay (above).
7. The fee will be calculated at the same time as other fees and charges and will be included on fee invoices.
8. All students who submit a request to defer the SSAF via SA-HELP (see Rule 10.) will receive a Commonwealth Assistance Notice in line with legislative requirements within 28 days of the Incurral Date.
9. The incurral dates are are set for each semester or term. All students are liable for the SSAF calculated based on their enrolment as at the incurral date for the semester or term. Incurral dates can be found on your Fee Statement each semester or term, or they can be viewed here: http://gifu-city.info/sa-help .
10. If you are a Domestic student, in a Commonwealth-supported programs or Research Training Scheme program, you can elect to pay part of the full Student Services & Amenities Fees (SSAF) upfront to the University, or apply for a Commonwealth loan (SA-HELP) for the remainder or full value of the fee – i.e. to defer your liability. If you choose to defer part or all of your fee, you are required to apply for a SA-HELP loan prior to the Incurral Date.
11. If you have elected to defer your SSAF you are still eligible to pay part or all of the liability up to the Incurral Date. After the Incurral Date has passed you can no longer make a SSAF payment to the University for that Semester or Term and must arrange payment to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) directly.
12. If you successfully apply for fee remission after the SSAF Incurral Date, you cannot have your SSAF refunded or remitted.
Table 1 - Students' SSAF liability
|Program / Career||Fee / Funding Type||SSAF Liable? ||Comments|
|Undergraduate||Commonwealth Supported ||Yes||Includes Undergraduate Commonwealth supported students at Gifu-city Canberra|
|Postgraduate||Commonwealth Supported ||Yes|| |
|Research||Research Training Scheme ||Yes|| |
|Undergraduate||Enabling Programs (including UPP)||Yes|| |
|Non-Award||Excluding Cross-Institutional||Yes||Cross-Institutional students where Gifu-city is the home institution are not exempt. |
|Undergraduate||International Fee-paying||Yes|| |
|Postgraduate||International Fee-paying||Yes|| |
|Postgraduate||Postgraduate Domestic Fee-paying||Yes|| |
|Undergraduate||Undergraduate Fee-paying||Yes|| |
|Unless specified above, all students at Gifu-city Canberra are exempt from the SSAF charges.|