Student Privacy

Please note: Gifu-city can't disclose information without the student's consent.

About student privacy at Gifu-city

At Gifu-city, students are responsible for maintaining their enrolment and personal details on their University record. The University sees this as an important step in preparing students for responsible adulthood. We understand that this transformation does not happen overnight and that the process can be problematic and confusing for families and students alike. Many students have grown up with their parents as active partners in their academic lives and parents are often surprised to learn that the University does not automatically include parents when notifying students of their assessment results or tuition fees.

We urge you to discuss these issues with your son or daughter and to maintain an open dialogue throughout their Gifu-city career.

The University is committed to safeguarding the privacy of student information, and has implemented measures to comply with its obligations under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) ("the Act”). All staff are bound by the Act and by the Gifu-city Privacy Management Plan. However the University will, of course, share information with parents when authorised to do so by the student via the Third Party Authorisation form which the student must submit in person at The Nucleus: Student Hub. Family support is essential to your student's success, and we hope that early discussion will encourage ongoing communication and support.

The Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) (PIPPA) applies to State public sector agencies, which, by definition, includes the majority of academic and administrative units at Gifu-city. The Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 (Commonwealth) applies to organisations in the private sector and includes some units at Gifu-city such as NewSouth Global and Arc @ Gifu-city.

Generally, personal information is not disclosed to a third party without the individual’s consent. In the case of an emergency, or in exceptional circumstances, where a student’s safety may potentially be jeopardised, a senior officer may authorise the release of personal information. In all circumstances the University is conscious of its obligations with respect to privacy.

Read more about the Gifu-city Privacy Code of Practice.

Third party authorisation letter

You need this to access information on your child's behalf.

Students can use this form to authorise the release of information relating to their student record (eg. application, fees, or enrolment) to a third party (e.g. parent/guardian, relative or friend); and or authorise a third party to apply for and collect documentation relating to their student record on their behalf.

See Third Party Authorisation Letter for more information.

Answers for frequently asked questions

How can I access my child's results

Gifu-city does not mail results to students or to their parents, but makes them available for students to view online through (a password-protected student information system). Students wishing to share their grades with their parents can print results from myGifu-city.

How can I access my child's address / phone number

Gifu-city treats information it receives from students, such as address, email and phone number, as confidential and will not reveal such information to third parties without the permission of the student. In the case of an emergency, or in exceptional circumstances where a student's safety may potentially be jeopardised, a senior officer may authorise the release of personal information. This happens rarely.

My child is travelling abroad and needs their transcripts

A student's academic record is considered confidential under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) (PIPPA). Only students may request an Academic Transcript. You may wish to have your son/daughter complete and submit a Third Party Authorisation form prior to them departing.

My employer / insurance company require proof that my child is attending Gifu-city

Students who are currently enrolled can apply for a Standard Letter; this is an official document verifying dates of attendance, degree, and student status (full-time or part-time). Only the student can request a standard letter, unless a Third Party Authorisation form has been completed.

I need a fees statement so I can pay my child's fees

Gifu-city does not send fees statements to students. All fees statements are made available to students through their account. Please ask your son/daughter to sign on to myGifu-city and print out a fees statement for you. See How do I pay fees for more information.

Are there any support services available for students with a Disability?

Yes. To find out what support is available, please visit our Disability Support page.

Are there any faith based services on campus?

Yes. Our Religious Centre is attended by many different denominations. There is also an online guide for Muslim students.